Thursday, May 28, 2009

*sleep can wait*

Well, it's one of those nights when I should be in bed.  But here I am.  I just finished watching "Marley and Me" and it got me in a mood.  I was sobbing like a baby.  Right out loud.  That's why it's nice to watch movies by yourself.  If your husband (or whoever) is next to you - you have to do "that" cry-- you know the one where the tears run quietly down your face and your heart feels like it's going to break inside your chest and your shoulders want to heave and give you away... the secret cry.  But when you watch the movie by yourself you can just let loose and sob.  Well, that's what I did tonight.  What a great flick.  You know what I liked about it?  Parts of that movie were real to me.  The part where they were quarreling when they had the new baby and the toddler was so familiar-- like a chapter out of my own book, like they had recorded a conversation between Jared and I.  That movie was so real- well as real as a movie can be because really it's all acting, but I loved it.  It almost made me wish I could ever even remotely decide that maybe it wouldn't be crazy to want a dog.  

I have been thinking about my life lately.  Life with small children.  And how rewarding it is.  I like to think that the old people in Walmart tonight were staring at me juggling my three children because they were envious of my strength and the sweet voices talking to me and calling me "mom".  Is there a sweeter word?  Really.  Is there?  "I love you, mom".  We were in an aisle and an old woman was blocking the path.  She seemed transfixed on the tomato sauce.  My children were having a conversation-- but I was oblivious to it.  I was thinking "okay lady, let me help you out-- Walmart brand is cheapest, Classico tastes the best."  So finally I sweetly announced, "Excuse me" and gave her my best smile.  She looked at me and said, "I'm sorry, I was so interested in the conversation between your little ones."  You  know what, I didn't hear it.  But I wish I did.  I need to listen harder, appreciate more.  Ask more questions.  Play more, laugh more, read more, chase more, tickle more.  Those are my goals for the week to do better at my job.  So I can be worthy of my title.  And not get demoted to... housekeeper.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

I am so excited to see Marley and Me now! Thanks!!!
And I love this post for reminding us all what a precious time this really is in our lives!

Erica Bass said...

I movie too. Gena LOVED it. Thanks for writing about that. I agree. I was thinking about how Ian still isn't afraid to hold my hand in public and how my days of that are limited.

Kevin said...

You can have my dog - and all the food, the leash, the pinch collar, bowl, comb, nail clippers, and the dog house a friend helped me build out of his home construction scraps. She's a lab/pointer mix. She's not quite as bad as Marley, but it's close. Just think of all the wonderful memories you'll have! She's excellent with kids, too. If you take care of her right you'll be extreemly healthy from the morning, afternoon, and evening runs you'll have to go on. She's one of a kind!

I agree. The movie was good. I actually read the book when it first came out - I'm not a real big novel reader - and the book is great!

I'll even let you babysit my dog for a month or two to test the waters. :-)

Shonda said...

Another friend of mine just told me that Marle and Me did her in! And, she doesn't even like dogs!

Talk to you soon!