Friday, September 21, 2007

*home*

We made it back with a pretty smooth trip. As smooth as a trip like that can go really. Were we wasted at the end? Yes, of course. The kids were great- I think they really have become seasoned travellers. At one point near the end of our 5 hour flight from Atlanta to Oregon- (after our 9 1/2 hour flight overseas and 2 hours of standing in lines for customs and rechecking our 8 bags and dragging the kids all over the airport) when I had to wake Mia to put on her seatbelt for landing- Mia flipped out and screamed hysterically for 5 minutes. Funny thing was, she wasn't really awake and I was still able to bribe her with candy. I held out a bag of M&M's and she took them and just held them and fell back asleep. Keeping in mind all that she had been through that day like a trooper- when the stewardess came over and was asking all the kids who was crying (in a joking way) and then when the fingers were pointed and she said to poor sleeping Mia (again joking) "Stop that crying!" I wanted to say "Shut up."

Sam's low point was also when we had to wake him up at the end of that flight and make him drag his little suitcase to the baggage claim. Poor little guy. It was like waking him up at 3 am after going to bed at like midnight after a long day.

I am so proud of my little travellers. Grandma picked us up at the airport and that beautiful lady brought Oreos and mini M&M tubes for the kiddos. They were immediately cheerful again until they fell back to sleep in the car.

Whew, so we made it back. And I have to say it is SO nice to be back here- but I am having culture shock in a few ways...

#1
Small talk.
In Switzerland a man's life is his own. People don't horn in unless they know you pretty well. I think I got asked more personal questions by strangers during my trip to the mall yesterday than I had in the entire year and a half we have been away. I especially enjoyed the conversation with the gas pump guy. (They pump your gas for you in OR.) It started with "you don't look like the mini-van type." The middle of the conversation was "how long are you in town" and it ended with "well, I hope to see you around." Haven't been blatently hit on by the gas man with my kids in the car in a while.

#2
Stupid drivers.
In Switzerland they know how to drive and they are considerate. They know what the left and right lane's purposes are. I had to laugh when the guy trying to pass me on the right when I was in the middle lane got pissed off when I sped up so he was stuck behind the big truck I was passing. My favorite part was when he proceeded to pass me on the right (faster this time) to prove me wrong and gave me an ugly look as he did it. Now granted, if all those stinking people had left the left lane clear for passing, he might not have to use the right lane for the left lane. It's all messed up.
Unrelated, but a high point of my day was seeing the great big Harley Mama decked out in leather with a huge Harley flag and a huge American flag flowing behind her bike. I think they should replace the bald eagle as the Nations mascot and put in Harley Mama.

#3
(I know this is being hypocritical because in an earlier post I complained about it... but...)

Variety and selection.

I am having such a hard time with all the choices. So many restaurants, so many stores, so many choices. I was lost at the outlet mall yesterday. I just wandered around like a lost puppy and felt overwhelmed.

#4
(I shouldn't even mention this one... but since I usually have no tact I won't start now.)
Big people.

Nuff said.

I have to say though, when I could plug my electronics in the wall without an adapter I almost cried. When we had a huge turkey dinner with all the family the other night I almost cried. And (pathetically) when we ate at Taco Time the other day I almost cried.

God Bless America.

12 comments:

Erica Bass said...

Tacos... Nice. I'm so glad you got a taste of "Mexican" food. The kids are counting down the days.

Kristi said...

We are sooo glad that you are back safe!!! I agree there are some crazy things about America too but for the most part - we are so blessed to live here! I am with you 100% - God bless America!
We can't wait to come see you in NM!

Erin said...

Come Back!!! I miss you terribly. I am glad you made it back in one piece. I can't imagine the relief I'll feel when I make that final international flight with the kids in tow.
Keep in touch dork. Switzerland just isn't the same without you. Now it sucks...MORE:)

Thomas Family said...

Welcome back. It's good isn't it? In a few months you'll start thinking, "man this is boring" so enjoy the feeling while it lasts. Miss ya, love ya, good to know your back. I have loved reading your latest blogs.

Katy said...

Welcome home Barlows! Maybe now that there's not an ocean between us (just several states) we can see you guys before too long.

Tony, Rachel, Siena & Emeri said...

Funny thing, I've been in the states now for over 2 weeks and I've had every single one of your 4 experiences and complelety agree!! Tony's favorites are bad drivers and the last one. I love America, but I'm not ready to leave Switzerland yet! Although it just won't be the same going "home" now that you guys aren't there. Love, Rach

Michael J. Prestwich said...

Big people? Is this what my Prestwich aunts and uncles meant when they exclaimed, "Oh my lard!"

Crystal said...

Glad you made it home safely! Your kids really are troopers. How long are you in OR? We live in WA you know!

jessicalangprice said...

This is so funny...Glad you're back, but we miss you!

Emily said...

Welcome back! It's always nice to have wonderful experiences. I wish I could have taken that trip/tour of Europe with you!

TamBaum said...

I am excited to to know the world traveling Barlows have a blog! I totally linked you on mine so I can read up on you all the time!
-Tami Baumgartner

Rhonda said...

Hi there...I am commenting on an older post, I know. BUT, I just found you via my good friend Keri B.

I noticed this post and had to leave a note for you. I am married to Mr. Swiss himself. His family of nine kids are now all here in the United States, but are SO SWISS and all the fun little notes you talked about are SO TRUE... we go over there a lot and his extended family are here often too.

Sweet children. Our five also are seasoned travelers and we hope to go to Switzerland again in October.

Love your blog. Come by and visit when you get back.